In order to drive safe, you need to do risk management

TL;DR
In this post I will provide real life example that will explain how to do risk management while driving in order to avoid driving accident.


While I am driving, I have different levels of alert. Here is intersection that always has my special attention (welcome to my neighborhood).


credit: Google Maps


Problematic part is when you drive in direction to south (to down in this photo, in Croatia we drive on the right side). Do you see anything special in this intersection?

There are three lines, in leftmost you need to turn right, and in other two you need to go straight. But that straight is not straight, you have to go in sideling direction slightly to the right.

And the issue is that drivers in the leftmost line very often go straight through intersection in my line. Because they do not pay attention to arrows drawn on the road and it feels natural to them to go straight through the intersection.

And that is what makes this intersection special. Other thing is that the number of this type of intersections in Zagreb is low compared to "normal" intersections where you do not have to do sideling.

So when I am in second and third line where I have to do sideling I am always extra cautious. It feels like I am on a start of formula one race. If there is a car on my right side (obligated to turn right), I always let him to go first, because I do not know if he would go straight without sideling in my line.

And there was also one special case, when previous intersection (upper in this map) was closed because of roadworks, and drivers that are not used to this sideling intersection were forced to use it.

How to apply this on software testing? If you notice during testing that you have to do "sideling" in order to use product feature, this is place where you should be extra cautious. Sideling in product is something in that product that is unnecessary overcomplicated and that could be done in simpler way. With simpler feature there is less chance for product issue.

This post was first published at zagorski software tester blog.

Labels: