In this post I would like to give an example how I failed as a tester. I registered my blog to be collected on Ministry of testing feeds. Everything worked in order for months. After I published one blog post, I noticed that it was not published on feed list. My blog is also registered on AST blog feed, and that feed listed my blog post. In order to find out what is going on, I send an email to Rosie, the owner of Ministry of testing page.
She replied that post is being fed, but it is not currently displaying as the latest post is over a week old and more recent posts have replaced it.
Facepalm! I failed as an RIMGEA tester! And the actual blog post was about RIMGEA technique. I did not do RIMGEA analysis of my issue and because of that I spent Rosie's valuable time to do analysis for me.
I instantly remembered that one week before I accidentally published (instead of saving it) that post. I reverted it to draft state again, but publish time stamp was still present.
Here is what I should have done.
R stands for replicate the issue. One of important parts of replicating it is to try to remember the exact steps that led to issue. As this is usually hard, we need to observe all relevant information related to the issue.
By observing blog post attributes, I would noticed that below post schedule attribute is post publish time stamp. Post that has never been publish do not have that time stamp. After that I would just need to compare the oldest post time stamp on Ministry of testing feed and figure out that my not shown post is to old to be shown on testing feed.
So by just using the first part of RIMGEA, replication, I would identified what is the real cause of the described issue.
Labels: learn testing, RIMGEA