Bank lockdown of my company financial data, RIMGEA analysis

Credit: simpleicon.com
I found out that my company financial data is lockdown by a Bank. Not all data, but using bank Internet banking service, I can only search for transactions that are no older than ninety days.
I will use this application behavior as my exercise of RIMGEA acronym for bug reporting.

Given that I am logged in
And I go to Reports--Transactions
And I select account in HRK
And I identify payment transaction with negative value
And I select date from older than 90 days
And I select date to today
When I click on accept
Then search result does not contain transactions older than 90 days

I think that this is a bug of Internet banking system, and I will try to prove that assumption using RIMGEA acronym. RIMGEA is acronym that helps testers to write better bug reports.

R is for replicate. I successfully replicated described application behavior. As issue variable is time, I used following follow up tests. I run the search first day. I remembered the transaction that was exactly ninety days old (I had to do it on several consecutive days until I found that transaction. So test lasted several days). I did the search the next day, and that transaction was not present in search result.

I is for isolate. Eliminate unnecessary steps and report only one issue. This issue is present for all my accounts (accounts differ in currency). So here is core of the issue:

Given that I am in transaction report menu
When I select any account
And I select date from older than 90 days
And I select date to today
When I click on accept
Then search result does not contain transactions older than 90 days.

M is for maximize. I did not maximize described issue. I was just able to replicate the issue. I varied my actions by creating pdf version of search results, by printing search results and using search results navigation buttons. I entered for starting date date that is four month before current date and for ending date date that is three months before current date. I varied program settings by changing account date and time format. I varied my environment by using Firefox browser.

G is for generalize. We need to replicate issue for different values of variables involved in this feature, less extreme values of those variables, or on broader range of systems. In this context I replicated issue for all three values of account type variable.

E is for externalize. Lets bring this issue in front of the stakeholders. I contacted application helpdesk. I was prepared for the answer: "This is a feature, not a bug". I looked in the application manual the fact that search only looks for data 90 days in the past. I did not find that information. Helpdesk confirmed the behavior. Quote: "We are aware of this lack of functionality. We are preparing our next release in which this behavior will not be present."

A is for the articulate. Write bug report in professional manner. So here is is.

Bug report.

Summary: Not searchable transaction older than 90 days.
Type: coding error or documentation mismatch
Steps:

Given that I have transaction in previous year
And that I am in transaction report menu
When I select any account
And I select date from older than 90 days
And I select date to today
When I click on accept
Then search result does not contain transactions older than 90 days.

Reproducibility: yes
Severity: small
Base on my experience as customer, it is very rare case that I will need transaction older than 90 months. There is alternative way (snail mail) to obtain that data from a bank.

priority: set by project manager. From helpdesk response I figured that priority is set to low.
component: transaction reporting in JohnDoe application
release number: 1.04.008
version number: Build 15176
configuration:
Latest Chrome and Firefox.
Account date format: DD.MM.GGGG
Account time settings: HH:MM:SS
Value format: 1.000,00

Suppose that you are developer or project manager, would I get your interest with this bug report?




Labels: ,