Generalize add iPhone number feature

Depicted generalization [source: Wikipedia]
In previous post, I explained how to maximize issue. In this post I will explain why is important to generalize issue and will apply generalize mechanism on add iPhone number feature failure.

Wikipedia states that generalization of a concept is an extension of the concept to less-specific criteria. It is a foundational element of logic and human reasoning. Generalizations posit the existence of a domain or set of elements, as well as one or more common characteristics shared by those elements.
For tester, concept is failure. AST Bug Advocacy course taught me how to generalize a failure. We need to uncorner our corner cases. This could be done by showing failure (or its absents) under less extreme conditions. Second tactic is to show failure (or not) on broad range of systems.

I have already done that in maximization post. During the assignments in Bug Advocacy course, I noticed that Generalize and Maximize from RIMGEA acronym usually overlap.

In order to uncorner my test case, I used "+385921" number because that number is the shortest number that contains Croatian international code 385, and local mobile operator code, 92. 1 is for the shortest none existing number. None existing because I wanted to be sure that failure is not connected with possible iOS ability to know that number is mobile by doing digit analysis. Failure was reproducible using that number.

I run test on iOS 7.03 simulator. Failure was not reproduced on that environment. That gives us indication that this could be regression issue.

In next post I will try to explain how to Externalize the issue.





Labels: ,