In video Dale Emery and Elisabeth Hendrickson demonstrated how to identify variables while exploring and use them to discover interesting things to test. As a demonstration they used Triangle Tester Exercise, application which determines based on user input for length of three triangle sides, is it possible to make valid triangle from those side values. Dale and Elisabeth listed possible testing variables for that application. I will list none testing variables.
None testing variables:
- label for side input field
- font type, size and color for information about the result of triangle side calculation algorithm.
- font type, size, color and background color for test data history header column.
- font type, size and color for input field.
- font type, size, color and background color for test data history column.
- color, line and fill pattern for drawing for valid triangle.
To identify none testing variables is also important information because we can detect is this static data candidate to become variable if we look from the application user or tester perspective. For user application could become more usable, and tester could better test the application.
For triangle application example, input field fill color as a variable. Red fill for invalid input, bright red color for invalid input for color blind users.
Labels: karlo, learn testing